September 25, 2009

Standard Self-Aid Procedure for Those Who Help Others

This is a follow-up to the entry from yesterday.

Author: Lin Yi Mu
Translator: PH

(Skit format)

  Everybody, please review with me the steps we should take when helping an old lady stand up:

  1. Contact the relatives and friends of the old lady

  I crouch down: "Hello. Do you still remember your home phone number or your children or friends' cell phone number? I can give them a call and tell them that you are here."

  Old lady trying hard to remember: "Gosh, I feel faint from falling over. I don't recall any numbers."

  ▲▲▲Word of Advice: Contacting family members is the best way to help! If this doesn't work out, proceed to the next step.▲▲▲

  2. Ask for the old lady's name, and for details about her children:

  Me: "Old lady, what is your name?"

  Old Lady: "My last name is Xu. Ouch."

  I take a backward step out of shock:"What? Are you the famous legendary Mrs. Xu!?”

  ▲▲▲Word of advice: If the old lady happens to be Mrs. Xu. Stop here!! Call the police instead▲▲▲

  Old Lady: "No, not Xu2, but Xu3, the character that is used in word "permission'. Groan (the number indicates a different intonation)

  I wipe away cold sweat from my brow: "Oops, sorry, I heard wrong. Old lady, do you have any children? What do they do for a living?"

  Old Lady: "I have a son. He works at the electricity company."

  ▲▲▲Word of advice: If her kids work in police station, court houses, or any government agencies, stop here! Call the police▲▲▲

  Once we have obtained answers to the questions above, and made sure that they are non-threatening, proceed.

  3. I pull out a piece of paper from my backpack, it states

  Consent Form to Accept Help

  My name is XXX,gender(M/F),XX year old,home address XXX. Because I am old, weak in body, and have trouble walking, I accidentally fell down on my own by XXX building on Year XX, Month XX, Day XX, Hour XX Second XX. I could not get back up by myself.

  I would like to accept help from XXX, whatever illness or injury I sustain has nothing to do with XXX. My family and I will take full responsibility for the entire medical bill.

  I hereby certify that the information disclosed herein is true and correct.

  Signature:

  Date:

  I read the consent form out loud and ask

  "Old lady, after you agree to the terms of this consent form and sign below, I will help you stand up in no time."

  Old Lady: "No problem. Groan. I am willing to sign the form."

  ▲ ▲▲Word of advice: If the old lady refuses to sign, stop here! Call the police instead.▲▲▲

  I give my pen to the old lady, but her right hand shakes too much to hold the pen, let alone sign.

  She cannot sign, does this we should leave her be? No, the selfless person that I am, I have already prepared for all possible scenarios.

  4. I take out a sound recorder from my backpack--

  Me: "Since you cannot sign, would you be willing to recite this declaration and let me record you?"

  Old Lay: "Yes, yes. Groan!"

  I put the legal document in front of the old lady. She begins to read:

  "My name is Mrs. Xu. Female. 65 years of age. I live in XXX residential part of Nanjing city. Because I am old, weak in body, groan, and have trouble walking, groan, I..."

  It is requiring the old lady a lot of effort to read. A middle-aged man on the sidelines said to me: "Young man, I am a lawyer specializing in civil lawsuit. Here is my work ID if you don't believe me. "

  I ask him: "Yes?"

  Lawyer: "The old woman here keeps on groaning out of pain, which means the digital recording will not be valid evidence in court, because the judge might think she is being recorded under duress!"

  I hadn't even thought of this: "Eh..."

  Lawyer: "Young man, we have all witnessed your willingness to help others. But as you see, your plan is not going so well. I suggest that you leave this to the police!"

  Being a nice person, I can't stop here...

  6. I pull out another document amidst gasps of surprise

  Witness Signature Form

  XXX,male,XX years of age,citizen of XX city. On year XXXX, month X, day XX, while walking past XXX Street, XXX saw old man/woman fall down on the ground due to no fault of XXX, and could not stand up.

  XXX have always been glad to lend a helping hand, and would like to extend support to Mr/Mrs. XXX. Because he/she is lying on the ground, he/she is physically unable to sign the consent form to accept aid, or provide her permission via digital recordings.

  In order to reduce Mr/Mrs XXX's pain, and ensure that he/she receives timely help, XXX is willing to take action after obtaining his/her verbal consent, and take Mr./Mrs. XXX to the hospital for medical treatment.

  10 warm-hearted bystanders are willing to serve as witnesses to this whole incident. They hereby confirm that Mr/Mrs. XXX fell down due to no other reason than his/her own, whatever injury or disease he/she sustains has nothing to do with XXX. His/her family will take full responsibility for the entire medical bill.

  The witness signatures are listed below


  Witness 1: Address, workplace, personal ID number, phone number

  Witness 2: Address, workplace, personal ID number, phone number

  Witness 3: Address, workplace, personal ID number, phone number

  Witness 4: Address, workplace, personal ID number, phone number

  Witness 5: Address, workplace, personal ID number, phone number

  Witness 6: Address, workplace, personal ID number, phone number

  Witness 7: Address, workplace, personal ID number, phone number

  Witness 8: Address, workplace, personal ID number, phone number

  Witness 9: Address, workplace, personal ID number, phone number

  Witness 10: Address, workplace, personal ID number, phone number

  Date:

  ▲▲▲Word of Advice: The witness form must be signed by 10 local residents. Otherwise, call the police!▲▲▲

  I wave this paper towards the bystanders: "I never give up easily. Good citizens of Nanjing, would you be willing to sign this document? In case I do encounter litigation, would you testify for my innocence?"

  The crowd have a little discussion amongst themselves. The middle-aged lawyer is the first one to sign. Following his lead, 9 other witnesses also step forward.

  I am deeply moved, and hot tears well up in my eyes. I thank each one of them, "Thank you! Thank you!" So many great people in Nanjing, to give me help when I most need it.

  The old lady also begins to cry.

  I ask gently: "Old lady, will you now grant me permission to help you?"

  Old lady: "Yes, yes!"

  ▲ ▲▲Word of Advice: We must obtain the old people's permission first before stepping in. Otherwise, stop!▲▲▲

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Veggie Discourse - Blogged